The weather is cooperating and the party is on. Ball games, backyard barbeques, graduations, birthdays, weddings… these events, much of the time, involve alcohol. As a matter of fact, after “cave dwelling” in the colder months of the year, many of us look forward to, and even invent reasons to, get out and have fun and perhaps, have a drink or two.
Go ahead! Have some fun! RESPONSIBLE fun. If you will be serving alcohol at a party or attending an event where alcohol will likely be present, be smart and PLAN AHEAD.
AT YOUR OWN EVENT:
- Make sure to serve food along with alcohol-free beverages and plenty of water to keep guests hydrated.
- Reward designated drivers with small gifts, like lottery tickets or gift certificates in appreciation for getting your guests home safely.
- Be prepared for overnight guests if someone has had too much to drink and does not have a designated sober driver.
- Take the keys away from any inebriated guest.
GOING TO AN EVENT?
- Designate a SOBER driver BEFORE you go.
- Tell a friend or family member where you will be, in the event you drink and are unable to drive, to ensure your safe ride home.
- Program reliable transportation contact numbers in your phone before the event. Keep transportation funds handy for when your ride arrives.
- Eat food and drink water and non-alcoholic beverages before and during the event.
Nothing “sobers up” a drunk driver like flashing lights. For a friend or family member of that driver, nothing is more sobering than a knock on the door telling them that someone that they care about is in jail, the hospital, or, the morgue.
Drinking and driving is not only dangerous and irresponsible, but it is also against the law. Protect yourself and everyone else on the road by drinking responsibly and driving sober. Have a safe, NO REGRETS summer!